Prevent and Treat Neurological Disease Naturally with Dr. Heather Zwickey
This week, Dr. Lo hosts her former professor, Dr. Heather Zwickey, from the National University of Natural Medicine in Oregon. Dr. Zwickey is also the former Yale Dean of Graduate Studies and trained in medical immunology.
Heather majored in math to work for NASA. But her personal health issues led her to research natural therapy. She applies her medical and immunological knowledge to naturopathy and mind-body connection to focus on how nutrition affects patients diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and how inflammation adversely affects the brain gut connection.
“Everything in the body is related to everything else and it starts in the gut.” – Dr. Zwickey
This week you’ll learn how foggy brain and neurological issues like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s originate in the gut. Depending on gut health, it secretes beneficial hormones and proteins to every cell–or toxins that cause inflammation and issues in unexpected places like the joints or the brain.
“Most people look at parkinson just as neurology. But there’s more to it. There’s neuro-inflammation. It’s like joint pain but in the brain causing the disease’s progression. People are not stopping the disease progression because they’re not addressing the neuro-inflammation.” -Dr. Zwickey
And that’s why current medication for Parkinson’s disease works for only about 10 years. Because the disease progresses despite the meds, making medication no longer effective.
You may not be worried about Parkinson’s but this week’s show applies to any issues that involve mind-body wellness, memory, fatigue and other neurological issues.
As with most health issues, it takes years before full-blown neurological disease develops. But you can take preventive steps early to lower your exposure and risk with simple and wholesome changes in your diet and lifestyle. And as usual on the Dr. Lo Show, the takeaway comes in interesting and unexpected ways like cherries, Instagram addiction and constipation.
Some of the things you’ll discover in this week’s podcast are:
- Why you should avoid cherries but not other berries for optimum brain health
- How years of constipation is one of the first signs of Parkinson’s disease
- Why you’re going to need a lot more of that Instagram fix to get that reward feeling compared to previous generations–and what to do about it
- How gut infection, achy knees and depression or anxiety are all related
- The best exercise for treating Parkinson’s disease and why not all exercises work
- Why you should stop dairy immediately to fight neurological disorders
- Which best-selling sweeteners are neurotoxins that literally kill brain cells
Also mentioned in this week’s podcast:
- Organifi, Dr. Lo’s green drink of choice, is the show sponsor. Regardless of whether you follow a paleo, macro, vegan, vegetarian or Atkins diet, everyone agrees more greens in the diet are best. Juicing everyday is ideal but not easy. Organifi super green powder covers your daily green needs with herbs and greens like green tea, mint, spirulina and chlorella. Save 20% off anything you order at organifi.com when you enter DRLO at checkout.
- If you need a little extra health support or want help with a customized detox or weight loss program, Dr. Lauren Noel and her team are available either in-person or remotely through Shine Natural Medicine.
- To learn more about Dr. and download her upcoming ebook, Eating Right for Parkinson’s, visit heatherzwickey.com
- Dr. Zwickey’s Memory Formula and Fatigue Formula can be purchased at zamialife.com
- Follow Dr. Lo on Snapchat and Instagram @healthylo.
Hosted by Dr. Lauren “Lo” Noel of Shine Natural Medicine. Like this week’s topic? Leave a 5-star review and comment or future show suggestion at iTunes.